Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Review: Fever by Lauren DeStefano

 photo fever_zps8ab31a52.jpg
Fever by Lauren DeStefano

"We run, with water in our shoes and the smell of the ocean clinging to our frozen skin. I laugh, and Gabriel looks at me like I'm crazy, and we're both out of breath, but I'm able to say, 'We made it,' over the sound of distant sirens. Seagulls circle over us impassively. The sun is melting down into the horizon, setting it ablaze. I look back once, long enough to see men pulling our escape boat to shore. They'll be expecting passengers, but all they'll find are the empty wrappers from the packaged sweets we ate from the boat owner's stash. We abandoned ship before we reached the shore, and we felt for each other in the water and held our breath and hurried away from the commotion." -- Fever, Chapter 1

Fever is the sequel to Wither and is no less incredible than the first book in this trilogy. Rhine and Gabriel have managed to escape Housemaster Vaughn and now make their way to Manhattan and Rhine's twin brother, Rowan, hoping to find safety with him. But escaping from the house was not the only hardship they face. Vaughn is following them everywhere they go, and when Rhine begins to show symptoms of the virus at only seventeen years old, he may be the only one with an answer.
I just can not praise this author enough. Again, I could not put this book down. I finished it in about a day. The way DeStefano writes is so gripping, and so descriptive. It's been quite a while since I truly got lost in a book but I just fall right into this series whenever I pick it up. It literally pulls me in. The characters are realistic and believable, the plot engaging, and all of it just leaves me wanting more. DeStefano is very quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. The cliffhanger at the end of this book left me excited and frustrated -- I didn't want it to end! As much as I want to devour the next book and find out what happens, I'm also very reluctant to leave DeStefano's world behind. Expect a review of the final book in the trilogy, Sever -- but how quickly that review will be posted will depend on how much I'm grieving over finishing this fantastic series ;)
5/5

DISCLOSURE: I borrowed this book from the library where I work and received no compensation for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment