Monday, July 1, 2013

Review: We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

 photo 5-26-2013weneedtotalkaboutkevin_zps6dc3657f.jpg
We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

"I'm unsure why one trifling incident this afternoon has moved me to write to you. But since we've been separated, I may most miss coming home to deliver the narrative curiosities of my day, the way a cat might lay mice at your feet: the small, humble offerings that couples proffer after foraging in separate backyards. Were you still installed in my kitchen, slathering crunchy peanut butter on Branola though it was almost time for dinner, I'd no sooner have put down the bags, one leaking a clear viscous drool, than this little story would come tumbling out, even before I chided that we're having pasta tonight so would you please not eat that whole sandwich." -- We Need to Talk About Kevin, Chapter 1

We Need to Talk About Kevin is the story of Kevin Khatchadourian, a boy who murdered seven of his classmates, a teacher, and a cafeteria worker. The book is written from the perspective of his mother Eva, in the form of letters to her estranged husband and Kevin's father. She recounts the early days of their marriage, her pregnancy, and Kevin's childhood, slowly piecing together the life of "KK" the killer. Eva explains her ambivalence towards having children and the way that Kevin seemed to hate her from birth -- a hatred that she returned. As she reflects on both her and Kevin's interactions with each other, the reader is left to draw their own conclusion about Kevin: is he evil because his mother didn't love him, or is he unlovable because he is evil?
I loved this story, I honestly did. I loved the letter format and I loved the insight into Eva's mind as she looked back on her mistakes and wondered if she was responsible for how Kevin turned out. But that being said, I had a lot of trouble getting through the book. It's not that it wasn't enjoyable or well written; it was. But it didn't feel genuine to me. The language used didn't feel like someone writing to her estranged husband. I was very aware of the author's influence. When I read I like to be completely immersed in a book, and I really wasn't able to do that here. I commend the author for portraying such an emotionally-charged subject so well. And finding out just how much betrayal Eva faced from Kevin, exactly how much she was hurting, was a shock that I was actually happy to receive; it was a perfect touch. I'm glad I read the book. It's just not for me.
3/5

DISCLOSURE: I borrowed this book from the library where I work and received no compensation for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment